Category Archives: Week One

Review of the First Week, from afar

After doing a lot of behind the scenes ground work with Karla Webb and setting up the policies and permissions in LibraryWorld, Maggie and I joined Amanda in High Point on Jan. 16th to start cataloging the Furniture Library books so they will be discoverable on The Furniture Library web page.  There is not a link yet but stay tuned as we get to critical mass we’ll give the information to the web master for the Furniture Library and connect the web page to the online catalog hosted by LibraryWorld.  This is always an exciting moment for any new library, to see their materirals searchable and then to locate them by call number.

After my first day in High Point at the Furniture Library I have not had a chance to go back, but Maggie and I frequently e-mail back and forth.  It is being a resource person from afar.  Maggie e-mails me a question or problem, I offer suggestions and then Maggie checks with Karla as to her preferences.  When Maggie is working in the Cataloging Dept. as a student assistant we often discuss particular problems or I teach her another layer of working with LibraryWorld.

We are anxiously awaiting for the spine labels that Karla ordered to arrive so the books already cataloged can be neatly shelved on the bookcases.  As Maggie mentioned, about 300 titles have been cataloged.  There are 30 spine labels to a sheet so there will be 10 sheets of spine labels and overlays to apply.  Once we catch up with the labeling it will be easier to catalog and attach labels as a batch of 30 books are done.

Maggie is doing a great job in her job as project manager.  I look forward to my next visit to the Furniture Library to see all that has been done.

Advertisements

First Week Overview

It is now the end of the first week and everything has been going smoothly so far.  The statistics for the week show us as having completed 300 books, with around 20 or so put aside for more in-depth cataloging.  Both interns have been trained in the use of LibraryWorld and shelving protocol, and are both very efficient catalogers.

We haven’t entirely solved the oversize problem, but we have decided to make numbers our immediate focus and worry about the oversize a little later, when we have more books entered into the catalog.  We also hope to get a book cart soon, which will be a boon towards relocating the oversize parts of the collection.

Day One

First Day:

Introductions-Mary Jane and I worked with one of the interns on the project Amanda Fonorow, who is also a student in the MLIS program at UNCG.  All of the books were shelved in loose categories such as Architecture and Foreign Language, by Karla (the curator), in order to help us get an idea of the content of the library.  There are two separate rooms housing books downstairs in the library with pretty similar shelving in both, so we decided to start in the left room at the back and work our way up and right, across the house.  The only slight hiccup in this plan was that the Architecture books (Architecture is the subject we chose to begin with) were shelved on the opposite side of the house at the end of our decided stacks.  This turned out to work fine with a little creative moving and shelving.  We are also able to use the tops of the shelves (they are about 4 feet high) to stack books in transition.

After deciding on our shelving order and practice we started cataloging in LibraryWorld.  Mary Jane instructed Amanda and I how do some basic adding of records and we all got busy working through individual stacks of books.  In total we cataloged 50 books on the first day and found only 2 that either didn’t have records in LibraryWorld or weren’t assigned call numbers. We decided on a system for putting these books aside until we collect a stack of 10 or more and then working from there to catalog them.

The first day went well, with a few major issues decided on.  Amanda and I gained enough familiarity with LibraryWorld that Mary Jane was able to let us work on our own from here on out, with the option of consulting her with any questions via email or phone.

First Week at the Furniture Library

Welcome to the Furniture Library Cataloging Project blog!!

Through this blog Mary Jane and I will be reporting our experiences with this project. We will be posting progress reports, as well as any other bits of information about our process, decisions, obstacles, etc. throughout the project.  You can read about the project in more detail on the About the Project page.  You can also find out more about Mary Jane and I on the About the Contributors page.

Enjoy!

Tagged ,