Category Archives: Week Two

Week Two in Review

The second week of the project was a great week for making major progress.  Our labels and label tape came in on Monday afternoon and Mary Jane came over on Tuesday afternoon to help us get set up.  After working out a few printer kinks (margins, headers and footers, etc.), we were quickly caught up with all of the label printing after a few days.  We had two new volunteers start this week: Katie from the UNCG Library and Information Studies program, and Justin from the NC Central University Library Program.  After only one afternoon they had almost our entire backlog of cataloged books labeled and shelved!

We did have a few minor issues with the label printing.  We realized that if a call number has too many spaces in between each part, when the label prints, a line will be skipped and left blank.  Also, sometimes volume numbers don’t get printed.  Mary Jane found a work around for the volume numbers, but it is kind of involved, so we may seek further instruction from the customer service staff at LibraryWorld for an easier solution.

As per advice given by Mary Jane, we have decided to catalog 30 books at a time, and then print a sheet of labels.  Meaghan, Amanda, and I will probably set aside most of the labeling/shelving for Katie and Justin to do, and focus primarily on cataloging.

As of today we have cataloged a little over 700 books, this being the bulk of the regular size collection from one of the two main collection rooms.  We are quickly working our way through the regular collection and will probably be starting on oversize and foreign language in the not too distant future.  This week Karla and some of the library’s board members made the decision to shelve the foreign language books in a separate foreign language section, rather than have them interspersed throughout the general collection.  So up to this point we will have a regular size general section, an oversize section, and a foreign language section divided by language.  This makes sense due to the fact that a large percentage of the collection is comprised of foreign language books.

Overall, I would say that week two went very well, and I hope that the remaining weeks run as smoothly.

Labeling!

Today Mary Jane and I began the process of labeling the 400 or so books we have cataloged so far.  The process was fairly painless, with only minor setbacks and a few do-overs.

The labels and labeling tape came in on Monday, and Mary Jane came over as soon as she could to help get us started on the process.  First we ran a report without printing to make sure there were no errors in our labels.  We found around 8 call numbers that needed to be reformatted, and corrected those before our first printing attempt.  Karla printed out labels from the LibraryWorld website for our first 200 books, after setting the correct printing margins in Internet Explorer (recommended browser).  The only problem we encountered with our first printed batch was that some sheets were printing with a header (page number) and a footer (date) throwing off the alignment, causing the labels to print a little off of the stickers. This was an easy fix after Mary Jane figured out the proper printing specifications, and we quickly achieved perfect results.

Next Mary Jane and I moved on to the labeling process.  Almost all of the books already have stickers on the spines with numbers from a previous cataloging system. We decided to place the new labels over these old labels, instead of going for uniformity of placement.  Otherwise the old labels would stick out, or be completely uncovered, and we thought covered would look better.

The labels don’t print in order of call number, so it took a while to locate each book on the shelf and then stick on the label and then re-shelve it.  This process will become easier once we finish our backlog, as we will be doing only 30 books at a time (each sheet of labels contains 30 labels), and they won’t be shelved prior to labeling.  Plus the books that are shelved will have labels already making them much easier to scan on the shelves than they are now, with only cataloging slips.

For thin books that don’t allow the entire call number to fit on the spine vertically, Karla decided we should stick those on vertically with the first two lines of the call number on the spine and the rest of the call number sticking over the back of the book, to aid in quick shelf scanning.